The modern history of Wing Chun Gong Fu begins with Grand Master Ip Man, born on October 14, 1893 in Fat Shan, Kwang Tun province. At the age of 12, he began to study Wing Chun under the guidance of Chan Wa Shun, who took him as his last student. After the death of Chan Wa Shun, his senior student Ng Chan So helped him finish his studies.
Ip Man began giving his first lessons in Wing Chun in the early 1940s to the children of his close friend, who helped him during the Japanese occupation. In 1941-1943 he taught Wing Chun at a cotton factory in Fatshan. His two students, Kwok Fu and Long Kai, still teach Wing Chun at Kwong Chow Fat Shan. In 1949, Ip Man had to flee to Hong Kong, fleeing the persecution of the new authorities. In 1950, Grand Master Ip Man began teaching Wing Chun on Dai Lam Street. The first school was the restaurant workers' union school and consisted of only eight people. The first student of Ip Man was the first teacher of the now famous master Leong Ting - Leong Sheng.
Three years later, Ip Man moved to a new location on High Tang Street, where a new school was opened and where the future instructor of Bruce Lee, Wong Shun Leung, began to study. In 1955, Cheng Chun Hing (better known as Wiliam Chung) also comes to study, who in due time will lead to the hall on Lee Tat Street, Yao Ma Tei District in Kou Long Young - Lee Siu Long (Bruce Lee).